It turned out absolutely wonderful! It is meant as a side dish, but I served it as an entree with a side of candied yams (I didn’t have a lot of side options on hand). This meal was very flavorful and very filling for my family of five (although the little one only picked at it).
My adaptation calls for a few subtle changes. I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom (hence the “sort of” meatless title). I didn’t have any chives on hand so I omitted them. I am also fairly positive I used more than the amount of cheese and french fried onions than what was called for. I didn’t exactly measure it, but I made sure to cover the entire top of the casserole with the onion and cheese, just to make sure I had good coverage! Plus it’s yummier that way 🙂
So here is my recipe if you’re interested in trying it:
- 1 bag tater tots (thawed)
- ½ can cream of chicken soup (or whatever “cream of” soup you prefer)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup french-fried onions
- Place tots in a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix the soup, milk, ranch, chives, pepper and parsley.
- Pour over the tots and top with the onions and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 40 minutes.